Libros en exoticindia.es
- A Vedic Reader for Students
- Adhyatma Ramayana (Sanskrit Text with Transliteration, English Commentary Alongwith Explanatory Notes, Relevant Appendices etc.) (In Two Volumes)
- Agni – The Vedic Ritual of the Fire Altar (Set of 2 Big Volumes with Two CDs)
- Ajanta - Monumental Legacy
- An Introduction to Indian Philosophy
- Apologetic Brahma Seeks Pardon from Krishna (From ...
- Beloved of the Gods (A Story of Ashoka the Great)
- BRAHMA PURANA: 4 Parts (Ancient Indian Tradition a...
- Brahmavidya Abhyasa (Sure Way to The Inner Self)
- Buddhism In Comparative Light
- Buddhism in South India
- Dharmakosa - Rajanitikanda (Sanskrit Only in Six Volumes): The Most Voluminous Encyclopedia on the Ideals of Indian Politics
- Discovery of Truth Immortality
- Discover Vedic Mathematics
- Divine Messengers of Our Time The Doctrine of Recognition (Pratyabhijna Philosophy): A Rare Book
- Ganesa (Ganesha) In Medieval Nepal
- God Word Volume II - Sri Ganapati Sachchidananda Swamiji
- God Word Volume III - Sri Ganapati Sachchidananda Swamiji
- Great Saints of South India
- Guru Arjan Dev
- Illustrated History of India
- In the Mirror of Memory (Reflections on Mindfulness and remembrance in Indian and Tibetan Buddhism)
- Kalpa-Vedanga: Origin And Development
- Kathakali The Sacred Dance Drama of Malabar
- Kishkindhaa-Kaanda (Descent Four) Shree Raamachari...
- Seven Hundred Sayings of Sachchidananda
- Shiva and Shakti in Indian Mythology
- Shiva Shakti Aaraadhanaa (Worship of Shiva and Sha...
- Shree Satyanaaraayana Vrat Kathaa (In English & Hindi)
- Sivastotravali of Utpaladeva
- Sri Bhagavatarka Marici-Mala (A Garland of Rays from the Sunlike Srimad Bhagavatam): Transliterated Text with English Translation
- Sri Ganapati Sachchidananda Swamiji – A Glimpse (With Audio CD)
- Sri Tantralokah (Volume Three): Sanskrit Text
- Srimad Bhagavatam – Sarartha Darsini Commentary by...
- Studies in Indian Sculpture (Regional Genres and I...
- Sundara-Kaanda (Original Text, its Romanization En...
- Super Science of Yoga
- Teaching Tradition of Advaita Vedanta
- Temples of Trssoor District (Kerala): A Rare Book
- Temples of Palakkad District (A Big Book)
- The Early Cultural Relations of India and Iran
- The Eighty-Four Hymns of Hita Harivamsa – An Editi...
- The Ganesa Purana (Sanskrit Only)
- The Goddess of Prosperity - Lakshmi
- The Himalayas and The Himalayans: A Rare Book
- The Holy Cow and Other Indian Stories
- The Krsnagiti of Manaveda (Sanskrit Text with English Translation): A Rare Book
- The Mandukya Upanisad And The Agama Sastra: An Investigation Into the Meaning of The Vedanta
- The Naradasmrti
- The Painted Towns of Shekhawati
- THE PADMA PURANA (English Translation in Ten Volu...
- The Puspasutra – A Pratisakhya of the Samaveda (In Two Volumes): Sanskrit Text with English Translation
- The Ramayana
- The Ramayana of Tulsidas (Text with English Translation in Verse)
- The Skanda-Purana: (English Translation in 22 Volumes)
- The Srimad Devi Bhagavatam 2 parts (bd.in 1)
- The Siva (Shiva) Purana (English Translation) 4 Vo...
- The Taittiriya Upanishad: With the Commentaries of Sri Sankaracarya, Sri Suresvaracarya and Sri Vidyaranya
- The Temple Architecture of India
- The Treasury of Good Sayings (A Tibetan History of Bon)
- The Visnu (Vishnu) Purana: A System of Hindu Mytho...
- Vishvavallabha (Dear to the World: The Science of Plant Life)
- Visvamitra In Vedic And Post Vedic Literature (A Rare Book)
The Holy Cow and Other Indian Stories
Código del Artículo: IHL702
por Tarun ChopraPaperback (Edición: 2009)
Tamaño: 8.3 inch X 5.7 inch
Páginas: 168 (Illustrated Throughout In Color)
Weight of the Book: 355 gms
Precio: Euro 26.68
Why are cows on the Street? What is “arranged marriage”? Is caste different from class? Does one need to worship a thousand Gods? Who was Buddha? Why does a lovesick emperor build a Taj Mahal? Why are the bodies cremated on the banks of the river Ganges?
This book has been in the making for nearly a decade. In 1982, when I returned from Spain, life as a student burning a hole in my parent’s pocket came to an abrupt end and the order of the day. And all I had, besides best wishes of family and friends, was working knowledge of Spanish. Fortunately, this asset was worth its weight in gold for it is may karma to unveil the secrets of the land of my birth to travelers from across the planet. Not that I was the last word on the wonderful mélange that is India. Indeed, as I got to know my own country, I discovered there are a thousand India’s and the quest to know each of them has kept me on the move ever since. And every time a visitor asks a simple question, I’m amazed that there are so many things about this wonderful land that not only baffle, amuse, horrify and attract foreigners. In fact, even a lifetime of study is not enough to produce a single volume which answers all questions.
India has a long tradition of transmitting knowledge by way of parables and stories, reader, through stories and pictures, what India-its historical tradition, religious customs and societal structure – is all about. So, when you return home and your friends want to ask you why cows are worshipped in India, why love is expressed in marble as in the Taj Mahal, why it’s a boon to die and be cremated on the Ghats at Varanasi or, indeed, why the temples at Khajuraho are adorned with erotic art, this book has the answers. Of course, if your want to know more, you can always ask more questions. Or wait form my next book!
Tarun Chopra was born in Delhi but his formative years were spent in Jaipur, wherein began a passion of color and pageantry of Rajasthan. Desire of learning Spanish brought him to JNU, and from there it took him to Madrid.
On his return he joined the travel trade. His love of travel and history took him to many exotic parts of this fascinating sub-continent. Later this was to be the subject of his photographs and books. The towns, villages, places of worship, festivals and people are the subjects, which fascinate Tarun. He goes back to them time and again only to encounter them refreshingly different each time. Being a self taught photographer his initial encouragement came when an American travel company used his photos to publish their brochure. After that his work was regularly published in USA, UK and in Spain.
In the year 1995 he published his first coffee table book “Majestic India”. Which already has gone in for the third edition. Then followed his second photo book “Majestic Jaipur”. It already is a runaway success. “Holy Cow and the other Indian Stories” is his third book. He lives in Delhi where he is working on his forthcoming books.
| ||The Holy Cow||8|
| ||Arranged Marriages||14|
| ||The Great Indian Bureaucracy||22|
| ||The Great Mughals||28|
| ||Shah Jahan||42|
| ||End of empire||52|
| ||Sadhus-Indian Ascetics||92|
| ||Kumbh Mela||96|
| ||Four stages of Life||98|
| ||Understanding the caste system||100|
| ||Bindi and Tilak||102|
| ||Buddha the enlightened one||111|
| ||The Sikhs||120|
| ||Dynasty of the Moon God||123|
| ||Mahatma Gandhi||126|
| ||Shatranj – the game of chess||129|
| ||Bollywood – The home of Masala movies||132|
| ||Hijras: The third sex||135|
| ||Manikarnika: The Burning Ghat||140|
| ||Ganga: The Celestial River Goddess||145|
| ||Spice of life||150|
En Exoticindia.es: http://www.exoticindia.es/book/details/IHL702
TABLA - FUENTES - FONTS
- inbenr11.ttf - 64 KB
- inbeno11.ttf - 12 KB
- inbeni11.ttf - 12 KB
- inbenb11.ttf - 66 KB
- indevr20.ttf - 53 KB
Disculpen las Molestias
Aa-Anc · Aga - Ahy · Ai - Akshay · Akshe - Amshum · Ana - Ancie · Ang - Asvayu · Ata - Az · Baa-Baz · Be-Bhak · Bhal-Bu · C · Daa-Daz · De · Dha-Dry · Du-Dy · E · F · Gaa-Gayu · Ge-Gy · Ha-He · Hi-Hy · I · J · K · Ka - Kam · Kan - Khatu · Ki - Ko · Kr - Ku · L · M · N · O · P · R · S · Saa-San · Sap-Shy · Si-Sy · Ta - Te · U · V · Ve-Vy · Y · Z
Aa-Ag · Ah-Am · Ana-Anc · And-Anu · Ap-Ar · As-Ax · Ay-Az · Baa-Baq · Bar-Baz · Be-Bhak · Bhal-Bhy · Bo-Bu · Bra · Brh-Bry · Bu-Bz · Caa-Caq · Car-Cay · Ce-Cha · Che-Chi · Cho-Chu · Ci-Cn · Co-Cy · Daa-Dan · Dar-Day · De · Dha-Dny · Do-Dy · Ea-Eo · Ep-Ez · Faa-Fy · Gaa-Gaq · Gar-Gaz · Ge-Gn · Go · Gra-Gy · Haa-Haq · Har-Haz · He-Hindk · Hindu-Histo · Ho-Hy · Ia-Iq · Ir-Is · It-Iy · Jaa-Jaq · Jar-Jay · Je-Jn · Jo-Jy · Kaa-Kaq · Kar-Kaz · Ke-Kh · Ko · Kr · Ku - Kz · Laa-Laq · Lar-Lay · Le-Ln · Lo-Ly · Maa-Mag · Mah · Mai-Maj · Mak-Maq · Mar-Maz · Mb-Mn · Mo-Mz · Naa-Naq · Nar-Naz · Nb-Nn · No-Nz · Oa-Oz · Paa-Paq · Par-Paz · Pe-Ph · Po-Py · Raa-Raq · Rar-Raz · Re-Rn · Ro-Ry · Saa-Sam · San-Sar · Sas-Sg · Sha-Shy · Sia-Sil · Sim-Sn · So - Sq · Sr - St · Su-Sz · Taa-Taq · Tar-Tay · Te-Tn · To-Ty · Ua-Uq · Ur-Us · Vaa-Vaq · Var-Vaz · Ve · Vi-Vn · Vo-Vy · Waa-Wi · Wo-Wy · Yaa-Yav · Ye-Yiy · Yo-Yu · Zaa-Zy